In 1842 the National Schools were built by the Ministry of Education and the National Society (Church of England). The Tywardreath National School was built on land owned by John Basset as shown on the plan below. The Bassett & Rashleigh arms with those of Tywardreath Priory appear over the entrance.
The light orange area is described as "formerly a Garden, late in the occupation of George Beer containing about 15 yards. The darker orange piece "Old Smiths Shop & Garden late in the occupation William Blewett containing about 3½ yards. Green plot: Dwelling House & Small Garden belonging to the same now in the holding or occupation of William Pease & William Belling containing about 4 yards
Tywardreath National School c1875
In 1881 the Tywardreath School Board took over the premises and although there were complaints of bad ventilation and sanitation it was not until 1903 that the present boys school was built in Southpark Road. Even then the girls remained in the National Schools until 1916, when the present girls school was opened and the National schools were made over to an educational trust.
- Tywardreath Girls & Infants 1883
- Tywardreath National Schools 1911
- Tywardreath Boys class c1928
The old National School building is now the Village Hall (on the right) and a Scout Hall (on the left)
Tywardreath School has its premises in Southpark Road and the school has its own website at Tywardreath School