The building of miners cottages on either side of what was a Turnpike Road is the possible origin for the hamlet of Tywardreath Highway.
This now busy road, from St Blazey to Lostwithiel, passes through the area of the former Fowey Consols Mine, which lies on the hill between Penpillick and Lanescott, and stretches for nearly two miles from Pontsmill to Stickstenton This was the largest copper mine in Cornwall east of Gwennap. Forty years of intensive mining made it achieve the third largest output in Cornwall and yielded a huge profit to its owners or "adventurers" as they were called. The "sett" was about half a mile wide and contained about twenty lodes.
The Tywardreath Magistrates' Court at which monthly Petty Sessions were held, was set up in 1841 as a sub-division of the Hundred of Powder. Meetings were held at the Porcupine Inn, Tywardreath Highway. The Inn received its curious name after one of the magistrates, whose real name was Rundle, but was nick-named "Old Pricklyback". The site of the former Inn - halfway up Penpillick Hill - is still called Porcupine.
In the 1850's James Polkinghorne acquired the New Inn in Tywardreath village. In 1860 a police station was built in the village, converted from what was originally a Market House. Two years later in 1862 Mr Polkinghorne built the Town Hall next to the New Inn and the Petty Sessions were transferred and he was hosting the customary dinners. Thomas Cock, the innkeeper at Porcupine, went bankrupt.
This disused chapel on the main road at Highway was built by the followers of O'Brien (Bryanites). Although the chapel has a plaque on the front above the doors and windows dated 1890, it is reported to have been built in 1841.
Tywardreath Highway Bible Christian Chapel.
The 1914-18 War Memorial standing at the side of the road at Tywardreath Highway not only lists those who died in World War 1, but also all the people that went to war.
Tywardreath Highway War Memorial.
Inscription and Names of those who died, on the front of the Memorial
Names listed on the right hand side of the memorial who saw service in WW1
Names listed on the left hand side of the memorial who saw service in WW1
Names listed on the rear side of the memorial who saw service in WW1