Around Tywardreath

The area around the village of Tywardreath covers a varied landscape of farmland, woodlands, valleys and streams, and coastline, hamlets of Polkerris, Lanescot, Treesmill and Tywardreath Highway.

Lanescot with the woodlands of Luxulyan Valley

Lanescot Farm with the Luxulyan Valley woods beyond

The South Fowey Consolsidated Mine, on the hill between Penpillick and Lanescot, stretched for about two miles from Pontsmill to Stickstenton. Forty years of intensive mining made it achieve the third largest output in Cornwall. The "sett" was about half a mile wide and contained about twenty lodes.

The South Fowey Consolsidated Mine, on the hill between Penpillick and Lanescot, stretched for about two miles from Pontsmill to Stickstenton. Forty years of intensive mining made it achieve the third largest output in Cornwall. The "sett" was about half a mile wide and contained about twenty lodes.

South Fowey Consolidated Mine Engine House - Austens

South Fowey Consolidated Mine Engine House - "Austens"

The once record beating engine "Austens" no longer in situ, just the broken remains of the engine house of the South Fowey Consols mine.

Treesmill, possibly derived from Treath Mill - Mill on the Sands. A granite mill wheel worked by water power upto 1914. Originally Tehidy property.

Treesmill

Treesmill

In a wooded southerly valley nestles Polkerris. In the past its activities were renowned, its main occupation of the people being fishing and the preparation of pilchards, in perhaps the largest fish cellar in Cornwall. Its stone pier was built around 1750, also within the protection of the pier is an old lime kiln. It has a licensed public house, the "Rashleigh Arms", but had prior to 1956(?)been known as the "Elliott Arms". The men of the village also manned the lifeboat and a plaque in the old lifeboat house records its service.

Polkerris as viewed from Spit Point

Polkerris as viewed from Spit Point at Par

The Gribben peninsula, with its tower rebuilt in 1832 after the first erection was struck by lightning. Not a lighthouse, but a day mark.

Gribben Day Mark and headland

Gribben Day Mark and headland as viewed from Spit Point at Par